Thursday, January 11, 2007

Mitt Romney's moderate past on Youtube

It doesn't take long these days for a candidate's previous statements to be put out into the public domain. No longer do we have to wait for the negative attacking advertising.

In this youtube post from the 1994 Senate election debate with Ted Kennedy, Romney makes his position known on the various social issues which could challenge his push to capture the conservative base of the Republican Party.

This is abbreviated coverage of the debate, but it highlights issues like abortion, gay rights, affirmative action and the Reagan Administration.

The debate emphasises the fact that Romney is extremely moderate on all of these issues.

Regarding abortion, Romney states that "I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country. My personal beliefs...should not be brought into a personal campaign. I do not impose my beliefs on other people. Those beliefs are very dear to me..you will not see me wavering on that or being multiple choice"

Romney also distances himself from the Reagan Administration, calling himself more of an Independent.

Watch the video here.